For our patients in Albuquerque, dental fillings are an ideal treatment for a minor to moderate amount of enamel loss due to tooth decay, tooth fractures, or trauma. Dental fillings are designed to fill the void created by decay or damage, and they can be used to even out the surface of the teeth. The team at Cosmetic Dentistry of New Mexico can strategically apply durable, natural-looking dental fillings to restore the aesthetic of your smile and improve the health of your teeth.
While most dentists still use amalgam metal fillings, Dr. Byron Wall offers a more attractive, stronger filling option, called tooth-colored dental fillings. If old-fashioned metal fillings were once used to enhance the integrity of your smile, Dr. Wall can easily remove the dark-colored restorations and amplify the beauty of your smile in a more natural-looking way. Commonly referred to as resin or composite fillings, tooth-colored dental fillings can be used to fill a cavity, reconstruct broken fillings, replace mercury based or amalgam fillings, and change the appearance of a distorted or discolored tooth. Most metal fillings are used similarly to composite fillings, as both types of restorations provide reliable and effective solutions to structural loss.
The Differences between Metal and Tooth-colored Fillings
There are several differences between amalgam dental fillings and resin composite fillings, including:
- Unlike metal fillings, composite fillings preserve the natural structure of the tooth
- Metal fillings change in size and shape when exposed to either hot or cold temperatures
- Tooth-colored fillings are thought to be more durable because they are less prone to cracking
- Resin dental fillings are more difficult to install and require an eye for artistry and precision
- There is less drilling involved in the installation of dental fillings than in the placement of amalgam fillings
- Resin composite fillings blend seamlessly into your smile and mimic the appearance of your existing teeth
- Amalgam fillings are easy to detect, because of their dark color, and look less natural than tooth-colored fillings
- Metal fillings are bonded to the tooth using a mercury compound
- Metal fillings may cause heightened tooth sensitivity
- Silver dental fillings have been used by dentists for over 150 years
- Tooth-colored fillings are often used, by dentists, to replace metal fillings for health-related reasons and aesthetic purposes
- Metal fillings are often less expensive that tooth-colored fillings
To determine which dental filling will work best for you, our Albuquerque cosmetic dentistry expert, Dr. Wall will evaluate your smile, examine the structural damage that exists within your teeth, and discuss with you your overall cosmetic goals and your health care objectives.
Contact Us about Albuquerque Dental Fillings
Depending on the amount of tooth decay or damage that exists within your smile, Dr. Wall and his team may recommend a more permanent or alternative procedure to dental fillings. For our patients in Albuquerque, dental crowns, inlays, or onlays may be used instead of fillings. To learn more about the comprehensive services that we provide, contact Dr. Byron Wall today. We look forward to hearing from you and helping you embark on your journey toward restoring the well-being of your smile.