Treatments for Gapped Teeth
If gapped teeth are making you unhappy with the appearance of your smile, you can seek treatment. There are many cosmetic dentistry treatments that can close gaps between teeth and improve the smile's appearance. We welcome you to schedule a consultation with Albuquerque cosmetic dentist Byron W. Wall for your personalized treatment plan.
Causes of Gapped Teeth
Gapped teeth may be genetic or a result of other dental issues. Gaps can occur between any teeth. Treating gapped teeth often begins with determining the cause. Some possible causes of gapped teeth include:
- Large labial frenum: A large labial frenum, the tissue that connects the upper lip to the gums, can increase the width of the gap between the two front teeth.
- Issues with the swallowing reflex: Issues with the swallowing reflex can cause gaps to develop between the teeth over time. With tongue thrust, the tongue presses against the front teeth instead of the roof of the mouth when swallowing. This continued pressure can lead to gaps between the teeth.
- Tooth loss: Tooth loss can cause gaps to form where the teeth are missing. In addition, the remaining teeth may shift out of place, causing additional gaps.
- Small teeth compared to jaw size: Sometimes the teeth are too small in relation to the size of the jawbone. This can lead to gaps developing between the teeth.
Treatments to Correct the Appearance of Gapped Teeth
There are a variety of treatments that can correct the appearance of gapped teeth. The type of treatment will depend on the specific needs of each patient, including the cause of dental gaps. The following treatments can be used to close gaps between teeth and improve the smile's appearance.
- Porcelain veneers: Porcelain veneers are tooth-shaped restorations that fit over the front facing surface of the front teeth. Veneers can be made to any desired shape or size to close gaps between teeth and correct other cosmetic flaws.
- Dental bonding: Dental bonding can be used to close gaps between the teeth, and to correct other dental flaws. Dental bonding treatment uses a special putty-like resin that is molded directly on the teeth.
- Orthodontics: Orthodontic treatment can be used to close gaps between teeth.
- Dental implants: If gaps between the teeth are the result of missing teeth, dental implants can fill these gaps and prevent the remaining teeth from shifting out of place. Dental implants are surgically placed titanium posts that can be paired with dental crowns, bridges, or dentures to replace missing teeth.
- Frenectomy: A large labial frenum is sometimes the cause of gaps between the two front teeth. A frenectomy is a type of surgery that can be performed to remove excess tissue from between the front teeth. Any of the above treatments can be combined with a frenectomy to further close gaps between teeth.
Are You a Candidate?
If you are self-conscious about the appearance of your gapped teeth, you may be a candidate for treatment. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Wall to find out which treatments are right for you.