A beautiful smile can do wonders for your self-confidence. However, if you have experienced a dental problem such as tooth loss, you may feel self-conscious about your smile. Fortunately, there are treatment options available to restore the smile and boost confidence.
Many people with missing teeth make ideal candidates for dental bridges. Dental bridges can enhance the smile and restore dental function for those who have lost one or more teeth. During personal consultations, Dr. Byron W. Wall determines which patients are suitable dental bridge candidates. Contact our Albuquerque, NM office to find out if you’re a dental bridge candidate.
What Are Dental Bridges?
Dental bridges are a type of restorative dental treatment used to replace one or multiple missing teeth. There are different types of dental bridges, including traditional, cantilever, Maryland bonded, and implant-supported bridges. Although there are different types of dental bridges, the general design includes one or more artificial teeth set in between two dental crowns. Dental bridges are anchored in place by attaching the crowns to the two nearest teeth, or they may be attached to dental implants when a large number of teeth are missing.
Dental Bridge Candidates
Patients who are missing one or more teeth, but do not need a full set of dentures, make suitable candidates for dental bridge treatment. Implant-supported bridges require minor oral surgery, whereas all other types of dental bridges do not. Accordingly, candidates for implant-supported bridges must be healthy enough to undergo surgery and should be free of medical conditions such as uncontrolled diabetes or heart disease.
Because the other types of dental bridges do not require surgery for treatment, most people with missing teeth are prime candidates and include those who:
- Have lost one or more teeth: Those who have lost one or more teeth often benefit from dental bridge treatment.
- Are not candidates for dental implants: Dental implants require surgery for placement, as well as sufficient jawbone to support the implant, making some patients unsuitable candidates for dental implants or implant-supported bridges. However, many of these patients are ideal candidates for traditional dental bridges.
- Would like to avoid oral surgery: Even when healthy enough for dental implant surgery, some patients would prefer not to undergo surgery. Those who would rather avoid surgery but require treatment for tooth loss often benefit from dental bridges.
- Do not require a full set of dentures: Patients who have one or more missing teeth but not enough for a full set of dentures are generally ideal candidates for dental bridges.
- Wish to quickly restore their smile: Treatment with traditional dental bridges can be completed in as little as two dental appointments, providing fast results for today’s busy lifestyle.
- Self-conscious about tooth loss: Those who are self-conscious about tooth loss may find renewed confidence with dental bridge treatment. Dental bridges restore the appearance and function of missing teeth, helping patients to smile with confidence and eat in comfort.
Discover Your Treatment Options
Don’t let tooth loss keep you from smiling. Treatment is available. To learn more about your treatment options, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Wall today.