Having a dental crown placed with the traditional, two-visit method can be a real hassle. However, we offer same-day crowns to reduce treatment time to one visit.
Thanks largely to the latest technology, the process of getting a crown placed in just one visit is possible, so you won’t need two visits and you won’t have to wear a temporary crown.
Our team in Albuquerque, NM, can guide you through the entire process so you can decide if a same-day crown is right for you.
If you qualify for this treatment, you can have a same-day crown created and placed in just a few hours.
Prerequisites for a Same-Day Crown
There are a number of reasons why someone might need any type of crown placed, including:
- Chips or cracks: A crown can restore a chipped or cracked tooth’s strength and appearance.
- Discoloration: Teeth whitening does not always work, in which case a stain-resistant, all-white, porcelain crown may be your best solution.
- Decay: You might need a crown to cover a tooth compromised by a large cavity, or to replace an old, damaged crown.
- Uneven bite: Crowns aren’t just for tooth reinforcement and cosmetic concerns. Same-day crowns can build up teeth that need restoration after their biting surfaces have worn down. Rebuilding molars can rebalance the bite, improving the way that upper and lower teeth fit together.
- Misshapen teeth: A crown can alter a tooth’s shape and size to improve your smile.
- Missing teeth: Crowns can be attached to dental implant posts as replacement teeth.
- Root canal therapy: After root canal therapy, a crown covers and seals a tooth against external bacteria.
You might not qualify for same-day crowns for a variety of reasons. One of the most common is your choice of materials. For example, more premium materials usually require the help of a lab. Our dentists will discuss your candidacy and any barriers during your consultation.
How Does It Work?
Having a dental crown made and placed used to take weeks. Preparing the affected tooth for a crown and placing a temporary crown took an entire appointment. Meanwhile, fabricating the permanent crown required sending records to a dental lab, where a technician hand-crafted the restoration. This could take two to six weeks. Then you’d need to return so your temporary could be replaced with the permanent restoration.
At Dentistry of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM, we have invested in CEREC (Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetics Ceramics) technology. This tool involves use of a scanner for digital images, rather than using the old putty method. It also has special software and an on-site milling machine.
In about an hour, our computerized design for your new crown will be translated into a custom, all-ceramic crown. Then the dentist will secure the permanent restoration with dental cement, and you’ll be set to go.
Within a few hours, you’ll enjoy a new, permanent, all-white dental crown!
Your Dental Crown Now – No Hassle Necessary!
Call Cosmetic Dentistry of New Mexico, in Albuquerque, NM, at (505) 355-0314 if you’d like to learn more about same-day dental crowns. You can also send us a message online. Cosmetic Dentistry of New Mexico welcomes new patients and look forward to meeting you.